Application for the Gates Cambridge Scholarship Program is now open for the academic year 2023-2024.
The program was established in October 2000 by a donation of US$210m from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation to the University of Cambridge; this is the largest ever single donation to a UK university. The first class scholars came into residence in October 2001.
The Gates Cambridge mission is to build a global network of future leaders committed to improving the lives of selecting outstanding scholars, providing them with financial and non financial support at one of the world’s leading universities, and facilitating community building at and beyond Cambridge.
Each year, the Gates Cambridge Program offers 80 fully funded scholarships to pursue a full-time postgraduate degree (Masters or PhD) in any subject available at the University of Cambridge. Approximately two-thirds of these awards will be offered to PhD students, with approximately 25 awards available in the US round and 55 available in the international round. There is currently a community of more than 1,700 Gates Cambridge Alumni spread across the world.
About The Gates Cambridge Scholarship for Postgraduates
- LEVEL: Masters and PhD.
- DEADLINE: 01 December, 2022 or 05 January, 2023 (Dependent on the course).
- NUMBER OF SCHOLARSHIP: 80 scholarships (55 to internationals, 25 US citizens and residents).
- FINANCING: Fully Funded.
- OPEN TO: All countries except UK.
- HOSTING UNIVERSITY: Cambridge University (ranked #2 in the QS World University Rankings).
- You can apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship if you are:
- A citizen of any country outside the United Kingdom.
Applying to pursue one of the following full-time residential courses at the University of Cambridge: PhD, M.Sc., M.Litt or one year postgraduate course.
Before those aforementioned criteria, you must prove:
- An academic excellence
- An outstanding intellectual ability.
- Reasons for the choice of the course.
- A commitment to improving the lives of others.
- And leadership potential.
The Gates Cambridge Scholarship does not consider funding:
- Any Undergraduate Degree
- Business Doctotate (BusD)
- Master of Business (MBA)
- Master of Finance (MFin)
- MASt courses
- MBBChir Clinical Studies
- MD Doctor of Medicine Degree (6 years, part-time, Home students only)
- Graduate course in medicine (A101)
- Part-time degrees other than PhD
- And Non-degree courses.
Funding & Coverage for the Gates Cambridge Scholarship for Postgraduates
The Gates Cambridge Scholarship covers the full cost of studying at Cambridge. It also provides additional, discretionary funding.
- The University Composition Fee at the appropriate rate.
- A maintenance allowance for a single student ( (£18,744) for 12 months at the 2022-23 rate; pro-rata for all courses shorter than 12 months)- for PhD scholars the award is for up to 4 years.
- One economy single airfare at both the beginning and the end of the course.
- Inbound Visa costs & the cost of Immigration Health Surcharge.
The Gates Cambridge also considers applications for several types of additional funding on a discretionary basis:
- Academic development funding: From up to £500 to up to £2,000 to attend conferences and courses.
- Family allowance: Up to £10,944 for one child and up to £15,612 for two or more children. No funding for a partner.
- Field work: You may apply to keep up to your normal maintenance allowance while on field work as part of your PhD.
- Maternity / Paternity funding: You may apply to interrupt your studies for up to 6 months and continue to receive your maintenance allowance during this time.
- Hardship funding: For unforeseen circumstances.
More Free Scholarships:
How To Apply
Before applying, you should thoroughly research your perspective course, including its requirement, deadlines, and supporting documents. Information on all courses available to study at Cambridge are available on the school’s website (www.cam.ac.uk).
Deadlines for the Gates Cambridge Scholarship
- For all applicants except US citizens and residents:
- Application opens: 15 September, 2022.
- Application deadline: Dependent on your course, either 01 December, 2022 or 05 January, 2023.
- Application outcome: By Friday 3 March, 2023.
- Scholarships offered: Late March.
- Scholarships acceptances: 72 hours after offer.
US citizens and residents in the USA:
- Application opens: 15 September, 2022.
- Application deadline: 12 October, 2022.
- Application outcome: By Friday 9 December, 2022.
- Scholarships offered: Late January, 2023.
- Scholarships acceptance: 72 hours after offer.