HZDR Summer Student Program 2024. Each summer between July and September, the HZDR offers the possibility to join our research groups and participate in their activities.
This offer applies to international master’s and Diploma students in natural sciences and related areas.
Our researchers design a project plan for you, and supervise, and coach you throughout the whole project. A selected range of lectures and lab tours, which introduce you to the different branches of our research centre, complete the program.
With this HZDR Summer Student Program, we contribute to the development of scientific research at an international and interdisciplinary level. We are convinced of the synergetic effect of integrative knowledge.
Who is eligible to apply for HZDR Summer Student Program 2024?
Am I an eligible candidate for the Summer Student Program?
If you are interested in applying for the HZDR Summer Student Program, please check that you fulfil the following requirements:
- You are a master’s or Diploma student of natural sciences (physical or life sciences) or related studies.
- You should hold a Bachelor’s degree. In the case of diploma degree programs, you need to have a confirmation of passing the third year of studies before the upcoming summer.
- You can prove a good academic performance through your grades and a letter of recommendation written by a scientist who knows you and your work and is in a position to evaluate it.
- You must have a valid university enrollment covering the whole period of the program (student ID).
- You have good knowledge of the English language to take part in all activities of the program.
- Applicants already holding a master’s degree but not being students of a different master’s course as well as PhD students are not eligible for the program.
- Students who had a contract at HZDR one year before the first of July of the targeted year are not eligible for the summer student program.
Please also check the FAQs.The candidates will be selected according to their academic performance, the research area chosen in the application form and their field of study or specialization. The student, however, will make the final decision for a specific research group.
How to apply for the HZDR Summer Student Program 2024.
These are the application steps:
- Fill out the HZDR Summer Student Program application form.
When filling out the application form, please:
- Enter the required information about yourself and your education.
- Rank the proposed research fields according to your priorities. You can also exclude fields, but be aware that the more fields you exclude, the lower your chances of being accepted.
- Select the kind of work you would prefer to do (experimental including data processing, theoretical including programming).
- Specify the period you are available. Please notice that we expect you to stay for at least 6 weeks and 9 weeks at most. Your presence during the lecture period from 29 July to 30 August is obligatory (core time). We will not make any exceptions.
- Upload a Curriculum Vitae in English.
- Upload a copy of your academic grades/records.
- Upload a copy of your student ID.
- You will receive a link where a professor or senior scientist can upload a letter of recommendation. Please make sure, that we receive the letter before the deadline.
Acceptance or rejection notifications will be sent by email once the selection has been made (no later than the middle of April 2024).
The application period ends on 23 February 2024.
Deadline for applications: Students can apply between 20 November and 23 February 2024.
Notification of acceptance: We will send a statement to the applicants by April 2024
When exactly in 2024?
We are glad to welcome you to our research centre from July until September 2024. Once you are accepted, your supervisor and you will define the exact time of your stay.
HZDR summer students will receive free accommodation as well as a stipend to cover additional costs.
You can find more information here and on further pages of this site. You can also contact the HZDR Summer Student Program team at firstname.lastname@example.org.