Applications are now open for the SEforALL Women in STEM Traineeship 2024 programme. The application deadline is on January 11, 2024.
Sustainable Energy for All (SEforALL) is an international organization working with government leaders, the private sector and civil society to drive further, faster action toward the achievement of Sustainable Development Goal 7 (SDG7), which calls for universal access to sustainable energy by 2030, and the Paris Agreement, which calls for reducing greenhouse gas emissions to limit climate warming to well below 2° Celsius (and striving for 1.5° Celsius).
Achieving these goals will require a radical rethink of the way we produce, distribute and consume energy. SEforALL is at the heart of this foundational shift to ensure no one is left behind. Drawing on data and evidence, we identify a critical path to success in achieving SDG7.
Read also: HZDR Summer Student Program 2024.
Overview: SEforALL Women in STEM Traineeship 2024.
The 8th UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon launched the Sustainable Energy for All initiative in 2011. Now an independent organization, we maintain close links with the UN, including through a relationship agreement, partnerships with UN agencies and with SEforALL’s CEO acting as the UN Secretary-General’s Special Representative (SRSG) for Sustainable Energy for All and Co-Chair of UN-Energy. These roles include advising the UN Secretary General and his staff on issues relating to sustainable energy and the implementation of SDG7 and supporting the coordination of sustainable energy issues in the United Nations system.
The ambitions of SDG7 are extraordinary. Aiming to achieve them in the context of the Paris Agreement on climate change involves transformation at a scale never undertaken before. Swift action must be taken by leaders in governments, private sector companies, institutions, financiers, development banks, unions, communities, entrepreneurs and civil society. As we enter the final decade to achieve SDG7, SEforALL has strategically chosen to strengthen global agenda-setting while expanding its activities to an engagement model that prioritizes data-driven decision-making, partnerships with high-impact countries and implementation on the ground. SEforALL’s current three-year business plan outlines “results offers” that scope out our planned interventions and demonstrate to our funding partners the impact of their support.
Context and Objective of Assignment
The just and equitable energy transition cannot be achieved and sustained without ensuring gender equality. The global energy access gap is gendered, and women and girls disproportionately bear the burden of the every-day consequences of energy poverty. At the same time, women are under-represented in the energy sector, from entry- and mid-level positions to boardrooms. As a result, women are less likely to have a voice in the policy and decision-making that affects them. SEforALL’s Women and Youth at the Forefront (WYFF) programme centers women and youth in the just and equitable energy transition by supporting their entry into and career progression within the sector, as well as empowering the next generation of women and youth leaders.
Main Duties and Tasks of the Role
SEforALL in collaboration with EM-One Energy Solutions is recruiting 12 recent women graduates for a traineeship programme in Sierra Leone. The SEforALL Women in STEM Traineeship will provide hands-on technical training with a focus on solar energy under the FCDO-funded health electrification project. The primary responsibilities will include, but are not limited to the following:
- Energy Efficiency and Conservation.
- PV Systems, Standalone and Off-Grid systems.
- Integrated Systems.
- Battery Sizing.
- Inverter and Charge Controller sizing.
- Conducting current and voltage measurements and performance characteristics.
- Solar panel installations.
- Using simulation software to design PV system dimensions.
- Assessing site economic viability using measured radiation data.
- Installing, integrating and commissioning solar systems.
- Remote monitoring and system maintenance.
Trainees will also be expected to participate in daily activities under the supervision of their focal point, scheduled site visits, workshops, and supplementary training programmes arranged by SEforALL.
Specific Competencies for the Role:
To apply for the SEforALL Women in STEM Traineeship 2024, candidates must be;
- Applicants must be 18-35 years of age.
- Only women applicants will be considered.
- Recent graduates with bachelor’s or master’s degrees (obtained within the past 2 years) in a STEM field (e.g., sciences, renewable energy, engineering, or related areas). Note that applicants who have not fully completed their degree programme will not be considered.
- 1-3 years of professional experience in energy, engineering or similar field.
- Should demonstrate completion of technical education or courses related to the topics covered in the programme as highlighted above.
- Should be highly professional and punctual.
- Should be willing and able to learn and apply new skills.
- Should have excellent communication and collaboration skills.
- Must be available for the entire duration of the training programme.
- Must be a national or have legal residence and right to work in Sierra Leone
Core Competencies for the Role
- Professionalism and Personal Leadership: Demonstrates and safeguards ethics and integrity. Demonstrates corporate knowledge, self-development and initiative-taking. Ability to work in a multi-cultural and international environment based on mutual respect and tolerance. Ability to exercise good judgment, discretion and tact in handling sensitive issues. Willingness to “get the job” done with a positive attitude to take on a wide range of tasks.
- Planning and Organization: Identifies priority activities and assignments. Adjusts priorities as required. Allocates appropriate amount of time for completing work. Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary. Uses time efficiently and is able to work to deadlines and maintain effectiveness under pressure. Excellent organizational and task management skills, with appropriate attention to details and ability to prioritize work among multiple competing demands, and under tight deadlines. Ability to manage multiple workflows at the same time. Proactive approach to managing workflow, with keen ability to multi-task and respond quickly and flexibly to a wide range of issues, some of which come up in ad hoc and unexpected ways.
- Communication and Teamwork: Excellent communication skills and proven drafting ability; ability to develop relationships, foster collaboration within the team and with other stakeholders, develop presentations, draft speaking notes, prepare meeting briefs and advocate for viewpoints.
- Analysis and Creativity: Demonstrated excellent analytical skills that can be applied to gather data, analyze and generate knowledge relevant to decision-making functions. Ability to summarize and present key-findings. Share knowledge and show initiative to improve existing practices.
- Technological Awareness: Keeps abreast of relevant available technology; understands applicability and limitations of technology in the context of sustainable development; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate.
How to Apply for SEforALL Women in STEM Traineeship 2024.
Please make sure that your application for SEforALL Women in STEM Traineeship 2024 includes the following information and documents:
- A detailed CV (attached to your application online)
- We recommend candidates include a cover letter on why they should be considered for the opportunity (attached to your application online)
- Apply online: https://seforall.bamboohr.com/careers/155?source=aWQ9MTE%3D
Additional Considerations for the SEforALL Women in STEM Traineeship 2024.
- SEforALL offers exciting high-impact assignments, a collegial and creative work environment, and the opportunity for committed. professionals to thrive and grow within flat hierarchies and in the pursuit of an inspiring mission.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only candidates short-listed for interviews will be notified.